All foreign visitors to Thailand can claim the tax refund to the value added provided that it stayed there for less than 180 days in a year, it is not a member of an airline and has carried out the travel by line of an international airport.

Conditions for refund

The VAT refund applies to goods leaving Thailand within 60 days of purchase. These goods must come from merchants displaying “VAT Refund for Tourists” (“VAT Refund for Tourists”).

The goods will have a minimum value of 2,200 baht including VAT.

The total amount for the claim for refund must be at least 5,000 baht including VAT.

On the day of purchase, you must present your passport and complete, with the help of the merchant, the refund form (known as “PP10”) which will join the original invoice. Each form must show a value of at least 2,000 baht.

Once at the airport for your return flight, you will present and submit the goods to customs forms and invoices.

The value goods such as jewelry, gold ornaments, watches, glasses, will be a second inspection by inspectors of the Bureau of VAT refund after passport control.

In case of refund by bank transfer or credit card account bank, you can either submit your complaint to inspectors on the spot or place it in a box provided for that purpose, or, back to your home, mail it by mail to the attention of the Revenue Service of Thailand.

Methods of repayment

Amount less than 10,000 baht:
Cash in Thai Baht, or a credit card account credit You must indicate on your form PP10 method of reimbursement chosen

Exceeding 10,000 baht:
Transfer or credit card account credit
Fees for reimbursement
– Repayment in cash: 100 baht fee.
– Return transfer: 100 baht fee, plus bank charges
and postage.
– Reimbursement by Credit Card Account Credit fees 100 baht,
more bank charges and postage.

– Reimbursement of VAT does not apply to restricted or prohibited goods
(Firearms, explosives, precious stones, etc.)..
– Allow time for security clearance at the airport.
– If you do not receive a response to your request refund by bank transfer or
credit card account credit in the period shown, please contact
the Office of VAT refund from the international airport of Bangkok.


The text above can be used in any official text.
Thai laws are written in Thai and only one official translation may be valid.
Thai laws are constantly changing and the text below for information purposes only.
For more accurate and effective informations, please contact the Thai Authorities.

Related Infos

Access to the property for a foreign

The ownership of land in Thailand is regulated by the “Land Code” ( the cadastre code ) exactly the article ” BE 2497 , 1954″ , by the Civil and Commercial Code , the reform on agricultural land of 1975 ( Act BE 2518 ) , and the Thai Ministry of the Interior . These […]

Work permit

The work permit is mandatory for any foreign national wishing to take up employment in Thailand. It is issued by the Ministry of Labour. It is important to distinguish two types of permits: work permits (work permit) and the business license for foreigners (Alien Business Permit). WORK PERMIT IS BOUND TO TYPE OF VISA An […]

Wedding with thai people

The Thai authorities require a certificate of capacity to marry for the union of a foreigner with a Thai national. This document is issued by the department of civil status of the Embassy of foreigner after making a record. (See documents required) The future spouses must always stand together for the filing of the record […]

Obtaining the thai nationality

Foreigners who want to get Thai nationality must meet the following criteria: have experienced 10 consecutive years in Thailand be over 40 years Fluency in Thai An exception may be made if the applicant is married to a person of Thai nationality a child born in Thailand or having studied at a college or university […]

Leave a Reply