The immigrant visa or residence permit for foreigners wishing to settle permanently in Thailand. This is issued to foreigners residing in Thailand for investment, employment or family reasons (husband / wife / father / mother of Thai nationality)

Experts, technicians and foreigners from Thailand who worked in the economic interests of the Kingdom are also entitled to obtain a residence permit. They must meet the requirements established by the Office of the Board of Investment (BOI) located 555 Vibhavadi-Rangsit Road, Chatuchak, Bangkok 10900. (Tel.02-537-8111, Fax 02-5378155. 02-5378177)
E-mail:, website:

1 – Conditions

– The immigrant visa (residence permit) is subject to an annual quota by nationality (in 2003 the quota of French nationals was 100 people)

– The alien must not only be in order vis-à-vis the immigration laws but will also be required to have obtained at least 3 consecutive years a non-immigrant visa for one year.

– Applicants must submit their applications later this year, usually in December, the results are announced five months later, during May and residence permits are issued in December.

For more information see the Immigration Service located Soi Suan Plu, off South Sathorn Road, Bangkok 10120, Tel (662) 287-3101 -10

2 – Rates of immigrant visa

The fee is 7,600 baht in the constitution of the application for an immigrant visa (non refundable) The rate of the immigrant visa is 191,400 baht. This amount is reduced to 95,700 baht for foreigners who have applied for family reasons. (This rate may change over time)

3 – Validity of the residence permit

The validity is permanent unless revoked by you or a court order. Every 5 years you need to go to stamp your residence permit at the police station in which your home

4 – Departure from the territory

If you’re planning to move out of Thailand you must apply for an annual re-entry permit from the immigration service. The fee is 1,000 baht.

5 – Benefits of the immigrant visa

In addition to the advantage of not to renew your visa every year, holders of residence permits have:

– Facilities for obtaining a work permit
– Purchase of a condominium without entry of foreign
– Inclusion of his name on a book of house (Samnao Thabien Ban)
– Ask for Thai citizenship (after 10 years of residence in the guise of an immigrant visa)
– Get the Thai nationality for their children born in Thailand
– Being director of a limited company
– Etc.


The text above can be used in any official text.
Thai laws are written in Thai and only one official translation may be valid.
Thai laws are constantly changing and the text below for information purposes only.
For more accurate and effective informations, please contact the Thai Authorities.

Related Infos

Non-immigrant visa category O-A

The non-immigrant visa category OA (long stay) are issued to foreigners who are over 50 years and who want to stay in Thailand for a period of one year or those who want to join their spouses of Thai nationality. This visa is issued by the Thai Embassies or Consulates. 1 – Obligations – Do […]

Non-immigrant visa category O

This category of visa is for foreigners who want to stay in Thailand for a period of 90 days. It is issued by the Thai Embassies or Consulates. Foreigners can obtain this visa: – Minor, one of whose parents is a citizen of Thailand – Abroad whose spouse is of Thai nationality – Abroad in […]

Non-immigrant visa category B

The visa issued by the embassies and consulates in Thailand for foreigners who want to work, operate a business or invest in Thailand. 1 – Required Documents – Passport with a validity period is over 6 months for a single entry and 18 months for multiple entries to the date of entry into the Thai […]

Tourist visa weaver

Nationals of 41 states are exempt from visa for a tourist stay not exceeding 30 days. The only condition for this exemption: the validity of the passport must be more than three months on arrival in Thailand. Warning: foreigners arriving without visas in each of the border including the maritime border of Ranong will be […]

Leave a Reply